Information for International Students

Welcome to the DAAD Center for German Studies at the Hebrew University!

About our MA program

The DAAD Center for German Studies offers an MA degree in “Contemporary Germany Studies: Politics, Society, and Culture.” This is an interdisciplinary teaching program, affiliated to three faculties: Social Sciences, Law, and Humanities. The program deals with contemporary processes in Germany: the role of Germany in the EU and European integration; Germany’s contribution to global economic, political, scientific, and technological transformation; Germany's place in the contemporary cultural and artistic scene; the political and statutory constitution of the German Federal Republic (the Basic Law after 1945); the social market economy model; problems and perspectives following the reunification of 1989; the German language – past glory and new meaning.

Do I need to know German to be admitted?

No. Knowledge of the German language is not a prerequisite for admission, but in order to receive the MA degree after two years, it is compulsory to receive the exemption or pass the “Advanced German” exam, equivalent to level B2.1 of CEFR. If you do not have the required knowledge, you can participate in German-language courses offered by the Hebrew University. The program recognizes up to eight credit points offered by the university.

We also offer scholarships for German-language summer courses in Austria, which will help you reach the required level.

The program’s teaching language is English.

How much time does it take to complete the MA degree?

Full-time students will earn their MA degree in two years. The class schedule is:

  • Year 1 (approximately 20 credit points; Not including German-language classes, if needed)
    • Mondays: 16:30-20:00
    • Wednesdays: 08:30-20:00
  • Year 2 (completion of the required 38 credit points or 36 points plus master’s thesis; Not including German-language classes, if needed)
    • Wednesdays: 08:30-20:00

This schedule will leave you enough time to both fulfill your academic requirements and explore Jerusalem and the rest of Israel!

Am I eligible to apply?

In order to apply to the program, you need to meet the following prerequisites:

  1. Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
  2. B average in undergraduate studies or its equivalent
  3. Knowledge of English

English-language requirements

The program is taught in English. You need to submit evidence of your English-language proficiency when you make your application to the Hebrew University. If you do not have a document indicating your knowledge of English, you will be given the option of taking the Amiram test. TOEFL and IELTS are also recognized.

Study tracks

The program offers two study tracks: a research track and a non-research track. In the research track, you are required to take 36 credit points and write a master’s thesis. This track is a prerequisite for future PhD studies at the Hebrew University. In the non-research track, you will study for 38 credit points.

At the beginning of your studies in the program, you will be registered to the non-research track. It is possible to switch to the research track after at least 20 credit points have been marked with an average grade of 85 (B+) and you have found a supervisor who will guide you in your research for the thesis.

Study regulations

For detailed study regulations, please click here.

For a list of this year’s courses, please click here.

How do I apply to the program?

For admission information, please click here.

After your application, if you meet the prerequisites mentioned above, we will contact you and schedule a Skype interview with our Admissions Committee.


We offer full tuition-fee stipends, distinction scholarships, scholarships for summer German-language courses in Austria, funded student-exchange programs, subsidized study excursions to Europe, and more.


For information about the dormitories on the Mount Scopus campus and virtual tours, please click here.

The dormitories do not provide kitchen equipment, towels, or bedding. You can either bring your own equipment or purchase it at the Academon shop in the university, and at the Coop Shop in Givat Shapira a few minutes’ walk from the dormitories.

Visa information

International students have to obtain a student visa before traveling to Israel. Please contact your nearest Israeli embassy or consulate to apply for a visa.

For more practical information about living in Israel, please click here.

See you at the DAAD Center for German Studies at the Hebrew University!